[Update 10th November 2014]
The Nexus 6 has been announced and will be available from Google Play from the 12th of November, 2014. The phone sports a 5.9 inches 2560×1440 OLED display, runs on a Snapdragon 805 processor with 3 GB of RAM. The phone runs on Android 5.0 Lollipop out-of-the-box. It also sports a 13mp rear-facing camera with dual-LED flash.
[Update 17th Aug 2014]
A new benchmark on GFXBench indicates that the Motorola Shamu may come with a Snapdragon 801 and 1080p display.
The Nexus 5 is Great, with a capital G. Ask me, I have been using it for several months now. It doesn’t skip a beat, ever. But there are a few annoyances, and none of them subtle. This year we will, hopefully, get a look at the next Nexus, what with Sundar Pichai confirming in this year’s Google I/O that the Nexus line is to continue. So I wanted to make my wishlist known. As the title suggests, this post will keep on updating till the device releases.
First of all, what is known to us till now. Well, this year’s Nexus tablet (Nexus 8?) will be made by HTC and the smartphone(Nexus 6?) is being made by Motorola. The tablet is codenamed Flounder and the smartphone is codenamed Shamu. Both of these devices should be releasing with Android L out-of-the-box.
So, what can we expect to see in these devices? HTC is rather fond of their dual front speakers, so I hope that they do make an appearance on the tablet. Since Snapdragon 805 is due towards the end of this year, it should be on-board the smartphone. Snapdragon 805 will be the last 32bit processor from Qualcomm. There should be at least 3 GB of RAM.
Now, here goes my wishlist.
- A bigger battery…O come on, Google, you know this is a legitimate wish. The Nexus 5 battery is pathetic and the life you can squeeze out of a single charge is all over the place.
- Software improvements – Albeit this is not for the device, but I hate it how the N5 becomes noticeably hot, even when it is idle, and this blogger is just listening to some songs on Play Music. Also, this problem is also a concern with several Snapdragon processors, so really hoping Qualcomm pays some attention to this problem.
- The 2560 by 1440 2k display on the G3 is gorgeous but you can’t make out any pixels even on the N5’s 1080p 442ppi display. So, either way, we will be happy.
- Seeing as a 16 gig unit has so less free space left OOB, Google should churn out 32 & 64 gig units this time around, since I don’t think expandable storage will be making a comeback on a Nexus.
- Now, this is entirely personal. It rains a lot here and is very humid and hot all the year round. I would really love a dust and water-proof device this time around.
- Every other smartphone manufacturer is focusing heavily on the camera unit. The N5 has a pretty good 8mp shooter in the back, but Google should up the ante. No HTC, I am not talking about your puny 4mp UltraPixel cameras. And while we are at it, throw in a Zeiss lens or two like those gorgeous Lumias 😉
Well, that’s it for now! Will keep updating. Think I missed something? Why not add them below in the comments?